Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jan 10/10

I just spent the weekend at the Carleton Curling Club in Saint John and my home club, Hampton. My team finished 8th in a field of 18 at the Pictures Plus Bonspiel and good fun was had by all. We played three closely fought games against several supper women who were fun to curl against and fun to socialize with off-ice. Here is my prize:

the bandstand in Kings Square in Saint John.

After curling all day and hanging out in the wee hours with a great bunch of Newfoundlanders, I dragged myself to my home club to help instruct a group of young curlers. The kids were so awesome! They did not seem to mind that this was the first time that I had done any instructing and I had fun watching them get all excited about screaming "Hard!!" as they encouraged the sweepers when I let them play on a full-sized rink. It was so cool to see them get into a game that I so thoroughly enjoy. One little boy who had been a bit of a challenge during the session, but sorted himself out when I gave him lots of praise, came up to me afterwards and said, "That was awesome!". That compliment made being chilled to the bone worth it.

1 comment:

Meadows08 said...

What a nice prize! That was nice to teach kids about curling!