Tuesday, March 02, 2010

March 2/10

So, over the past few weeks I have been glued to my television watching the Olympics on the 4 different channels that were available to me. Apparently I was not alone as I heard yesterday that 26 million Canadians watched the men's hockey gold medal game on Sunday night! All of that tv time of course meant stitching time and I got a good start on my ornaments for Christmas 2010.


"Peace" by Blackbird Designs was stitched on mystery 14 count Aida with threads from my mystery box. Both designs can be found in JCS 2009 Ornament edition.


Although this photo does not show it well, "Peace" by Homespun Elegance was stitched on a remnant of that 14 count Aida. This ornament was stitched at the Hampton Curling Club during the men's gold medal curling game on Saturday night between Canada and Norway. One of the club members who was there watching the game reminded me of sashiko, a form of Japanese stitching that I remember seeing my grandmother do when I was a child. Unfortunately, my grandmother died when I was 15 years old so she did not get to teach me much about sashiko although I do have a piece that she stitched as a table runner. My mom brought me some sashiko kits from Japan when she was there in 2008 so I should dig those out and try my hand at it.

Three more sleeps before I head to Newfoundland! It is going to be a whirlwind visit, but I am looking forward to meeting Michael's extended  family and to seeing a Canadian province that I have never been to before. Michael told me last night that he is not 100% sure how to get to Signal Hill, the one place I really want to see, even though he grew up in the St Johns region so I told him to let me ask for directions because I can get away with more having a mainlander accent!



1 comment:

Christine S said...

You know, I really like seeing people's variations on designs in JCS using different fabrics and threads. Designs that didn't do much for me suddenly want to jump on my "to be stitched" list. Great job on both pieces! Enjoy your holiday!