Thursday, October 08, 2009

Oct 8/09


Hayes the cat is slowly improving. She was sitting on the bathroom scale a few minutes ago and I took a peak to see her current weight. Fuzzybutt is now a whopping 9 lbs, up 4 lbs from the night she wandered home after a 19 day walkabout. The fleas are almost gone, but the eye infection is still a battle which is why you are getting a rear view of her because her left eye is pretty yucky looking. She is getting oral cephalexin twice a day and idoxuridine drops every few hours. The other drops I was using were completely ineffective and I probably waited too long to start the oral antibiotics. I do see some improvement in the huge cyst that is sitting where her kitty eyebrow should be and which has grown so big that she can not see much out of her left eye. She is tolerating all of the medications better than I had thought. I can not describe her as being wildly enthusiastic about all of these eyedrops and she does put up a bit of a fuss about them, but she does not run away when she sees the bottle come out so that makes the process a bit easier. Surprisingly, she likes the taste of the cephalexin which I think stinks to high heaven! I mix it into some canned food and then feed it to her because I am not crazy enough to try shooting it down her throat! She might be half the cat she was, but she is not declawed.

My cats sure keep me entertained and busy! If I am not medicating Hayes in some way then I am laughing at the latest crazy spot in my house that Penelope is using to sleep in (she is currently sleeping in the recyling bins behind where I sit at the computer) or chattering away with Gabby. My house would be so boring and quiet without them!

No comments: