Thursday, April 12, 2007

April 12/07

The news just came on a few minutes ago and it was announced that 2 more Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan. Five of the 8 soldiers who were killed there this week are from New Brunswick. Maritimers make up about 25% of the Canadian Armed Forces while we only make up about 10% of the general Canadian population. NB only has a population of around 749 000 people (it fluctuates depending on how many people have left for Alberta each month!) compared to the general Canadian population of almost 32 000 000 people. The numbers just seem so skewed to me from this little corner of the world, especially when I can name 4 military personnel of my own age group from this town of 5 000 who are currently serving in Afghanistan.

I dunno. It hurts too much to think about it. Thank heavens that my brother is on a training course at CFB Kingston.

2 comments:

mainely stitching said...

It's tragic. Mostly, I avoid commenting on the war but I have to pop up to say that Canada is always undervalued in the contribution made for world-scale confrontations like this one.

I continue to hope for a resolution to take place soon, so everyone can go home again.

vee said...

Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know that our efforts on the world stage do not go unnoticed.